The Fort Mailly
38.5 x28.5 cm
Glasgow School of Art
The vantage point
We are on the east shore of the harbour on the road which goes from the jetty beach (Anse de la jetée) to the current commercial port.
This watercolour represents the north-north-east face of Fort Mailly
As its name suggests, the Redoubt Mailly was constructed by Marshal De Mailly between 1772 and 1789, during the reign of Louis XVIth. It was equipped, like Redoubt Bear, with defensively-walled cannons. The redoubt was rebuilt in1858 as part of the creation of the line of defence for the Region in the nineteenth century (Port-Vendres having been declared a military port in 1846), then more recently in the years 1940-1944 by the German army of occupation. It was blown up at the depart of the German troops on 19th August 1944. It has stayed in ruins. The ruins belong to the municipality of Port-Vendres.